Sunday, December 12, 2021

my grandma wallace appeared to me in a dream last night, and it was wild. i've been working on a book about her mother, my great-grandmother, so i told her about it. we had a bit of a conversation.

she was dressed up, which was unusual for her, as i virtually have never seen her outside of her kitchen. but, as it was when i knew her, I didn't see it clearly; it's was like I had a kid's view of it. and, like she was when i knew her, she was busy. we were at a reception of some kind and she was running around, preparing things, serving, etc.

she recognized me right away and noticed that i'd grown quite a bit since last time she saw me i was maybe sixteen or eighteen. she herself was seventy or eighty. nobody had asked her about her mother in quite some time.

she didn't deny anything i said about her mother - it was true, what i had was the facts. but i was trying to get at certain important facts - what happened to her and her brother when mom did these performances - and she was unable to answer, because she was too busy. at one point my aunt showed up and entered the conversation.

my aunt is still alive - maybe about ninety-nine, and in a nursing home, and pretty much out of it - but in this dream she was young, if not in her prime, pretty close to it. and i recognized her from pictures, since i didn't know her until well after she was in her forties. my aunt mentioned someone named dorothy wallace as being her favorite of the ancestors, but this name not only doesn't mean anything to me, but would obviously be from the wallace side, which would be the family my grandmother married into. well, i don't expect dreams to make sense in everything, anyway, but at the time this seemed like a diversion and i was frustrated because i felt like i was about to get an answer out of my grandmother.

but there was no answer - she was gone, and i woke up - remembering the dream, but not having any special new information. i remember clearly her presence -her concern, her careful listening, her careful responses - but of course she didn't tell me anything i didn't already know.

one odd thing is that a reception like that would probably have all kinds of other people - my mother, my brothers and sisters, my grandfather, the whole crowd, and that would make the dream go on and perhaps stay interesting. but it ended somewhat abruptly with my aunt, who, after all, is still alive, and surely would have some memory of my great grandmother as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home