Thursday, August 04, 2022

 

it's a steamy day; the warm humid air just kind of hangs around, with no wind to speak of. i mowed the lawn and now, because i'm sixty-eight, i have to rest; mowing kind of took the wind out of my sails.

i've been tired a lot, and maybe that's just getting old. but things are happening on the marketing front. i actually sell a few books every once in a while. it could just be that it's the season: people are packing away books to read on vacation. it could just be that the cumulative effect of me being out there on the market is finally paying off. whatever it is, it makes me feel better.

i have to admit that my paperback sales are still so low that i've taken to buying them myself, not only to increase my own stock but also to keep my ratings out of the over-ten-million range. the best i can tell you is that i don't use household money to do it. nobody's going hungry so i can have a few more books in my hand. it does make me feel better, though, to have the ratings look better if even only for a while.

my idea is simply this: I want each cover to be a work of art. that way, even when i buy an obscure haiku book, one that nobody ever buys, i am buying a work of art and putting it into the world. i have succeeded in a few of my books; i have twenty-six; a few of them have works of art as covers. i have a long way to go in that regard.

there are things that need moving, and they're just sitting in the garage. i simply haven't moved them. it's too hot and steamy, and, i'm too tired. just getting them into the garage was hard enough. now, i'm sitting here; they're sitting there; they aren't getting moved. it's a stalemate. a mexican standoff, if there is such a thing.

the dogs need a good walk. they got short ones last night but none for several days and they were dying. the lack was due to my daughter and grandchildren being here; it was wonderful to see them, but that's another reason i'm exhausted. just watching them deal with the grandkids was enough to wear me out. it's nice to have them around, though.

i've encountered some small illinois towns with large trains in them. this i find wonderful. maybe it's coming home. the clear, cornfield smell and huge train whistle, and lots of good fresh fruit & berries.

i'll try to document. galesburg is a little sleepy but it too has trains, brick streets and gorgeous old mansions. stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home